I may have used more than 1/4 cup of the Panko bread crumbs the recipe called for, but the bread crumbs really made it good. Next time, I might just keep the extra bread crumbs on the kids half to keep the calories down for me...
Creamy Ham and Potato Casserole
1 1/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cup evaporated skim milk
3 tablespoons flour
4 small potatoes (1 1/4 lbs total) peeled, diced and boiled
6 oz diced ham
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup corn
1/2 cup shredded cheese, plus 1/8 cup of cheese for top layer
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If your potatoes aren't cooked yet, peel and dice them into uniform pieces and boil them in the microwave about 7 to 8 minutes, until soft. Once potatoes are ready, go ahead and salt and pepper them to taste.
3. In a sauce pan, combine skim milk, evaporated skim milk, flour, salt and pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.) Over medium high heat, stir constantly until sauce has thickened.
4. Place half of the potatoes on the bottom of a well greased 9 inch square baking dish. Layer half the ham, corn, cheese and onion in the pan, then cover with half the sauce. Repeat each layer, finishing with the final 1/8 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Lightly drizzle a little bit of olive oil (about a tablespoon) over the top of the breadcrumbs.
5. Bake uncovered for 55 to 60 minutes. If you find the top getting too brown cover with a little bit of foil and finish cooking.
If you like this recipe and want to see more, please consider becoming a follower. You can subscribe using the Google Friend Connect widget, through a reader, or signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
I will be linking up to some of the fabulous linky parties listed here. Check 'em out if you have a chance!