It's a great recipe to use up leftover ground beef or turkey and I have even used chicken. If you don't have enough leftover meat, you can always add more beans. This dish is very tasty with generous sized servings. If you make the recipe as listed below, if you get 6 servings the calories are around 381 per serving. You could easily get 7 or 8 servings, which would bring your total down to 326 or 286.
Easy Tex-Mex Bake - Lightened Up
- 8 oz uncooked rigatoni, ziti or penne pasta
- 1/2 lb of ground turkey or beef (even leftover chicken or beef fajitas works)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup of black beans
- 2/3 cup of chunky salsa
- 1 16 oz container of cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp of minced cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup of shredded low fat Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Combine turkey, onion and taco seasoning in a large non-stick skillet, cooking over med-high heat, until turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn, salsa and beans. Remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine cottage cheese, egg, cilantro, white pepper, salt and cumin in bowl.
- Spoon 1/2 of turkey mixture into the bottom of a well greased 11.5 by 7.5 inch baking dish. Top with pasta. Spoon cottage cheese mixture over pasta. Top with remaining turkey mixture. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese over casserole.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: