Today I am sharing this delightful Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal Recipe, using Steel Cut Oats in the Slow Cooker.
We've had several below freezing mornings in a row where we live, which is pretty darn cold for us. Quite often during this time of year, we go to bed needing the air conditioner and waking up needing the heater! (Which makes for lots of lost sweaters and coats!)
On a cold morning, there is nothing better than waking up to a delicious and already cooked pot of healthy and filling oatmeal in the crock pot. I've made several versions of this recipe (banana, pumpkin) and the kids always enjoy the oatmeal.
Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal (Steel Cut Oats)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups liquids (I usually use 3 cups water and 1 cup almond milk)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Fuji, granny smith, or Jonathon apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (or more if you prefer, I like to add my butter and sugar after cooking to get the taste just right...)
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or oil. (I always just use a crock pot liner.) Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. You don't want to cook longer than 7 hours or the oats might burn. (happened to me once and it was very stinky!)
- If you normally sleep longer than 7 hours, and don't have a programmable slow cooker, try using a timer that you plug into an outlet. You can assemble your oatmeal and have the timer turn the slow cooker on 7 hours before you wake up.
- Serve up your oatmeal in a bowl and add additional butter, sugar or milk to taste.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.