Brr... It's been pretty cold here in the last week or so. We have had a lot of wind, which makes it seem even colder. The kids got new scooters for Christmas and haven't even had the chance to get outside and ride them and now we have rain in the forecast for the next several days too.
On cold days like this, there is nothing like a big pot of chili to help warm you up! This simple chicken version, prepared in the crock pot certainly fits the bill!
I do love cooking in my crock pot, (with a crock pot liner of course.)There is nothing better than a hot meal with minimal effort.
This recipe made a lot of chili. We all had a big bowl with corn bread muffins the first night and then served the left overs over baked potatoes on another night. (My mom served her leftovers on a salad and said it was pretty good that way too...)
Southwest Chicken Chili
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney/pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can corn
- 2 14.5-oz diced tomatoes (chili style if you can find them)
- 1 4 oz can of diced green chilies
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- optional: sour cream, avocado and shredded cheese
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, stirring together, making sure the spices are mixed in and the chicken is covered.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from the chili, shred and return to the crock pot, stirring the chicken in completely and cook for just a few more minutes.
- Serve with optional sour cream, avocados and shredded cheese if desired.
(FYI, these photos were taken the 2nd day, so quite a bit of the liquid had been re-absorbed.)
If you like this type of recipe and want to see more, you can follow along using the Google Friend Connect widget, through a reader, or signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
I will be linking up to some of the linky parties listed here.