Tangy lime flavors and yummy vanilla cake blend together deliciously in this Key Lime Poke Cake Recipe. This easy to make cake is just perfect for family get-togethers or potlucks!
It’s February, and if you have scouts in the house, then you know it’s time for the Blue and Gold banquet. This year, our den was on the list to bring desserts. My son was home sick from school Thursday and Friday. I was worried he was not going to be feeling better in time, but he was on the mend by Friday afternoon. (It would have been sad for him to miss out on his crossover from cub scouts to boy scouts.) Thank you to Pillsbury for collaborating with me and sponsoring this post! (Helps me keep the yummy recipes and ideas coming!)
Since he was not feeling well, I never actually made it to the store for groceries and I still needed to come up with a potluck friendly dessert. I could always ask my hubby to stop at the store on his way home and just grab cookies or something, but I didn’t really want to do that. Luckily, I had lime juice and a couple of limes in the fridge plus I usually keep a few Pillsbury Cake Mixes and Frostings in the pantry for times like these (or for just when the urge to bake strikes.)
I thought a Key Lime Poke Cake would be a perfect dessert to take to the banquet.
Have you ever made key lime pie? Yum! It’s definitely one of our favorites- and hard to believe something so yummy is made with so few ingredients. (Lime juice, eggs and sweetened condensed milk.) If you’re a fan of Key lime Pie, then you will definitely love this Key Lime Poke Cake. It’s such a fun (and delicious) twist on key lime pie! The best part, it’s just as easy to make- pretty much the same basic ingredients plus a boxed white cake mix.
If you’ve never made a poke cake- it’s exactly what it sounds like… Poke a bunch of holes in a cake and pour liquid or other filling into the holes. The filling will seep into the cake and make for an extra yummy dessert!
My daughter always enjoys spending time in the kitchen. She loves to help stir, bake and frost all the goodies we make and of course, there’s nothing better than sharing the goodies with family and friends. (Especially when they are as yummy as this cake!) I recruited her as the official “hole poker” for this cake- she just could not believe I wanted her to poke holes in the pretty cake!
Be sure to check out more ways to #MixUpaMoment with your loved ones by checking out all the yummy recipe ideas over on the Pillsbury Pinterest page.
Key Lime Poke Cake adapted from Tablespoon.com
Cake and filling
- 1 box Pillsbury White Cake mix (plus ingredients for the cake)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup, plus another 3/4 cup half n half or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- optional: green food coloring
- 1 container (12 oz) whipped vanilla frosting or 2-3 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream (you can add a bit of lime juice for a bit more flavor)
- optional: limes for garnish
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions
- Poke holes in cake with handle of spoon. (Poke lots of holes- the more there are, the better the cake will turn out.)
- Evenly distribute 1/2 cup half n half/cream into the holes on the cake
- In large bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk and 3/4 cup half n half/cream together
- Working very quickly, add lime juice to mixture and pour over cake. (Once you have added the lime to the milk mixture, the filling sets very very fast.) Work the lime filling into all the holes with a spatula. There will be a good amount of filling left on top of the cake.
- Put cake into fridge for at least and hour.
- Gently spread frosting/whipped cream over the top of cake.
- Garnish with lime zest and lime slices
- Store in fridge until ready to serve.
Have you ever tried a poke cake? Share your favorite flavor in the comments below!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.