This dress is one of my all-time favorites, I made it for my daughter last year.
|(Just noticed the date, I took this photo exactly one year ago.)|
The fabric line is from Art Gallery fabrics. It is so pretty! I pulled the dress out for her to wear to a birthday party this past weekend and had trouble getting it on her. The armholes were very tight under her arms, and I could tell it was bothering her.
I always planned to cut off the bodice and turn it in to a skirt when she out grew it, but I wasn’t ready to give up on it yet. I wanted to experiment a little to see if I could make it fit a while longer.
What I decided to do was to pick out the casing and remove the elastic around the neck and sleeves. I serged the edge, then folded it over and hemmed it. This gave me an extra inch of room, so the arm holes would hang a little lower. ( I was planning to do a rolled edge, but couldn’t get the settings right on my serger and my ‘test’ edges didn’t look so great.) After that, I shirred around the entire neckline and sleeves 4 times to replace the elastic. I did a few more rows of shirring in the front so the dress would hang a little better.
Here is the result: The dress fits much better, but I think I still need to remove the casing from the bottom edge of the sleeve and shirr it too. (Makes such a cute effect anyway.)
|This was right before bed, she was being a little ham, anything to delay the inevitable…|