This lightened up Baked Ziti recipe is a healthier twist on a classic comfort food recipe.
This Baked Ziti recipe makes a huge amount!
My family of four (two adults, two young children) get 2 meals plus leftovers for lunch out of it…
Sometimes I split the ziti up in two smaller dishes and cook the 2nd dish a few days later for another meal.
Other times I cook the whole thing and pop the leftovers in the freezer to be reheated in the microwave at a later date.
This lightened up Baked Ziti is a healthier twist on a classic comfort food recipe.
- 16 oz Penne Pasta
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1+ cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 tbs italian blend seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the italian blend seasoning and keep sautéing about 2 more minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and mushrooms and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix cooked pasta and sauce, combine well, set aside.
- Combine egg, ricotta, parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Spread half tomato pasta mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish, top with half of ricotta egg mixture, sprinkle half of mozzerella on top.
- Spread remaining pasta and sauce mixture on top and sprinkle remaining mozerella on top.
- Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!