Let’s get sewin’!
Return to Photo Styling page. (page 1)
Flat Front Skirt Sewing Instructions
by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Size 2 to 10
- 1/2 inch elastic (If you prefer wider elastic, use it. Just add a little extra height to the back waistband to compensate.)
- Safety pin
- Trim (optional)
- Basic sewing supplies
Important Pattern info: Seam allowances are 1/4 inch
Products used (or recommended) in this post:
- My favorite fabric shop for knits: Fabric.com, Funkalicious Fabrics and Girl Charlee.
- My favorite online retailers for quilting cotton and other apparel fabric: Fabric.com and Etsy
- My Sewing Machine: SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist, my coverstitch: Janome Cover Pro 1000cpx
- My Serger: Brother 1034D 3 or 4 Thread Serger or you can just use Pinking Shears
- All purpose/universal 90/14 needle
- Rotary Cutter
- I love my large ruler and large cutting mat, but you may prefer to start off with a smaller Cutting set
- Dritz Dual Purpose Marking Pen and Fray Check
- Wonder clips (I didn’t use these in the post, but they are just awesome!
- Cordless iron
Attach elastic to safety pin and pull through casing until end of elastic is just inside the end of the casing. Pin in place.
Line up the raw edge of the front waistband piece with the raw edge of the back waistband piece, right sides together (the edge where the elastic is attached.) Sew together and finish this seam with pinking sheers, zig zag on sewing machine or serger.
Stretch out the waistband, the safety pin should still be attached to the elastic and will be in the middle of the casing somewhere. (Leave it in the casing, we’ll finish pulling it through later.)
Fold the border piece in half (folded height = 3.25) and press.
Change the stitch length on your machine to the highest setting and sew a basting/gathering stitch along the top edge of the main skirt piece, 1/4 inch from edge.
Pull on the bobbin thread until the skirt is gathered to the same width as the waistband.
Tip: Since the back waistband of the skirt has elastic, the back of the skirt will have more gathers and be more full. To help even out the fabric distribution, you can line up the side seam of the skirt and waist band, then distribute the gathers evenly from this point:
(Switch your stitch length back!) Right sides together, line up the gathered top of the skirt with the bottom of the waistband and pin together.
Sew right below the gathering stitch. Remove all pins finish this seam and press.
Finish pulling the elastic through the casing and pin in place.
If the child is handy, have her try on the skirt and make any elastic adjustments.
Sew back and forth 1/2 inch from the edge a couple of times to secure elastic in place.
Line up the edges of the skirt and sew together. Finish this seam and press.
Add trim, if desired. I added ribbon by sewing along both sides. When I got to the end of the ribbon, I folded the edge under and stitched it down.)
That’s it, you are done. Doesn’t it look great? Now, have your little one try it on and come back and share the pictures on my facebook page. Nothing makes me happier than to see what you’ve made!
If you end up making one of these skirts, dont forget to come back and share a picture of your finished skirt on my facebook wall or tag me on Instagram (@scatteredmom) and use #scatteredmompatternsDon't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: