Hi guys! Today’s guest poster is Cathy from My 1929 Charmer. Cathy is sharing a tutorial for a Shabby Cottage flower.
Check out the tutorial after the jump!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
My name is Cathy and my blog is My 1929 Charmer. I’m tickled pink to be guest posting while Jamie and her little ones are out enjoying themselves!
I am a wife, grandmother and a happily retired woman. A color and pattern lover. A lover of all things creative and an amateur photographer (but improving). Some of my passions are gardening, cooking, sewing and crafting!
Today I am going to show you how to make a Shabby Cottage Flower!
The fabrics you’ll use will obviously affect the look of your flower.
Let’s get started..
1) Freehand 4 different flower shapes on paper (don’t worry, perfect is not a good thing)!
The largest flower has 4 pedals, measuring 4″ across (top right), cut two out
2 flowers have 7 smaller pedals each , 1 – 3 3/4″ across (bottom right), and 1 – 3 1/4″ across (top left)
1 flower has 5 pedals, 2 3/4″ across (bottom left)
I used a heavier weight cotton, but not as heavy as twill! You want your fabric to have body!
2) Next start cutting strips of complimentary fabric in varying lengths. Also use laces and fibers (yarns).
2) Start stacking the cut flowers (largest to smallest) on top of each other.
3) Then place the scrap strips on top of the flower petals, hand tacking down (thread or hot glue).
4) On top of the fabric add some fiber, I used some burlap threads and tacked down (thread or glue).
5) Next I made a rolled fabric flower on top of the layers, tacking down (thread or glue).
After the rolled flower is secured, you can tuck in more lace and fiber around the rolled flower. Both of these help to add dept and character to the flower.
I also place a fabric “charger” behind the main flower. I cut a circle about 1 1/2″ larger than finished flower and attached (thread or glue),
Just play with it until it looks the way you want!
The shabby cottage flower helped unite all my pillow fabrics together!
You may share 1 photo and up to 3 lines of text, under the condition that proper credit is given to scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com. (Must be a clear link back to shared content & do not remove watermark.) For more information see: Terms and Conditions,