If you enjoy the flavors of green chilies, chicken and cheese, you will love this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup. Bonus: this recipe can be made in either the pressure cooker or slow cooker!
One of my family’s all-time favorite dishes is this Slow Cooker Green Chile Enchilada Soup Recipe. Since we’ve reduced the amount of carbs from our diet (mostly in the form of bread, pasta, white rice and added sugar) I have not made this soup recipe in over two years!
The Chicken Verde Tacos is actually what inspired this recipe. (True story: my hubby would come home from work and instead of making himself a taco, he would drink the excess cooking liquid from the tacos. (A mixture of the broth, green chiles and cream cheese. I figured if the cooking liquid was that good, I should probably come up with some sort of soup recipe using the same ingredients…)
We still get our spicy Green Chile Chicken fix. I instead of the soup, I’ll often cook chicken breasts or thighs in either the slow cooker or pressure cooker, mix in cream cheese and salsa and serve the chicken in a salad or on low carb tortillas.
As I was planning our meals last week and adding ingredients to the grocery list. (All online btw, oh how I love grocery delivery!) I decided it was time to make this recipe over into a low carb version. (All I did was omit the corn, rice and cornstarch, not sure why I hadn’t done this before.) I had totally forgotten how delicious this soup is.
You definitely need to add this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup to your menu this week! Low carb or the not low carb version, it’s amazing either way! Since I’ve been using my pressure cooker so much lately, I included cooking instructions for both the slow cooker and the pressure cooker.
- Thighs are amazing in this Low Carb Green Chile Enchilada Soup recipe, but you’ll want to remove as much fat from the thigh as you can prior to cooking.
- Spice measurements are to taste, I’ve had one person tell me they thought it was too spicy, but hundreds who have said they like it as is, so use judgment.
- The recipe calls for 1 can of diced green chiles, but I actually use 2 for even more flavor
- For best results, don’t use store brand cream cheese, I have found certain brands won’t dissolve/mix in all the way!!!
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Hamilton Beach Set it and Forget it Slow Cooker
- Soup Ladle (Love that this has the oz labeled in the ladle)
- Herdez Salsa Verde (Best green salsa ever!)
Pressure Cooker Recommendations:
Don’t have a pressure cooker, but been thinking about getting one? I suggest looking at these:
- Cuisinart 6 quart pressure cooker
- Fagor 8 qt pressure cooker
- Instant Pot 6 quart,
- Instant Pot 8 quart (If I didn’t already have one I would get the 8qt one in a heartbeat- I want that yogurt function!!
- Pressure Cooker Meals: Recipes, Tips, and Explanations
I have a few more delicious low carb recipes here => Low Carb recipes. (You definitely don’t want to miss that chili dog casserole recipe!)
Don't miss any more posts! Follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!