Our family loves this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake! With minimal hands-on time, this frozen dessert is the perfect make-ahead dessert for spring and summer get-togethers.
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
It’s officially strawberry season- I just received an email update from our local strawberry picking farm with an update that the strawberries are ready to be picked!
Strawberry picking is one of our favorite family activities to do in the spring. We’ve gone every year since my kids were babies and I think it’s such a fun way to spend time together.
We usually take a day off from school/work to go during the week when they’re less busy and make a special day of it. The kids get so excited and look forward to it every year.
The last couple of years, we’ve been able to time our visit to the farm just right, and have been able to pick blackberries, early peaches, strawberries and even dig up our potatoes!
Facebook is even getting in on the strawberry picking pressure as well, by showing me all my memories and “from this day” posts of our strawberry picking adventures. Rather than skipping a day of school this year, I think we will plan our visit around a camping trip. How much fun will that be!
All these thoughts of strawberry picking had me in the mood to make a strawberry dessert. We haven’t been out to the strawberry picking farm, so I had to make do with plain ol’ grocery store strawberries. (They weren’t too bad, lol.)
Ice cream cake is a favorite dessert around here, so I decided to make a spring version by using strawberries and Golden Oreos.
Five Ingredients in this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake:
Yes, five ingredients! If you’re headed to the store at these ingredients to your list:
- Golden Oreos
- Strawberry ice cream
- Heavy whipping cream
- Strawberry syrup
This Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is really easy to put together. There’s minimal hands-on time, so it’s a quick and easy dessert to make, but keep in mind that you’ll need to allow a few hours for the ice cream to reharden.
Got lots of strawberries? See more strawberry recipe ideas here.
How to make the Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
This yummy strawberry dessert is assembled in layers, starting with a crust of Golden Oreos and butter. Then add strawberry ice cream, strawberry ice cream topping, whipped cream and topped it all with fresh strawberries and more Oreos.
Can I use regular Oreos instead of Golden Oreos?
The regular chocolate Oreos would be delicious too! This is really more of a personal preference as I love the Golden Oreos and when planning this recipe, I imagined the flavor of the Golden Oreos would “blend” better with strawberry than regular Oreos and it keep the over all flavor a little lighter.
Can this Strawberry Ice Cream Cake be made ahead of time?
This Ice Cream Cake is a great dessert to make ahead of time. Since the ice cream does need time to re harden, its perfect for when hosting guests. You can put it together the day before, toss it in the freezer, and it’ll be ready to when the guests arrive!
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake:
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: desserts
- 36 Golden Oreos, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 jar of strawberry sundae topping (16 ish oz)
- 8 to 12 oz of whipped topping (cool whip style or make your own – I made my own.)
- Optional Toppings, such as fresh strawberries. additional strawberry syrup and crushed Oreos
- In a food processor (or by hand) combine crushed cookies and butter. Press cookie crumbs into a greased 13 by 9 dish.
- Carefully spread ice cream over cookie layer. Place in freezer until ice cream has re-frozen.
- Spread strawberry topping over ice cream, (reserve a bit for garnish if desired) cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer until set.
- Spread a generous amount of whipped topping over strawberry sauce layer.
- Return to freezer until firm ( made mine the night before)
- Just before serving, garnish with diced strawberries, additional strawberry sauce and cookie crumbs.
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry