These soft and delicious 4th of July Cookies will be the star of your dessert table! Topped with homemade red, white, and blue buttercream frosting and sprinkles, these patriotic cookies are adorable and oh-so-yummy!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (crisco)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Red and blue food coloring
- In a large bowl combine sugar and butter. Mix untill butter is light and fluffy looking and sugar is weel incorporated. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- In a smaller bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt,
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until everything is just incorporated. Do not overbeat!
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 1 to 2 hours.
- With a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out even size scoops of dough and then roll in a ball in your hand and place on a cookie sheet and slightly flatten with your hand so it’s in a circular shape.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until light golden brown, for 8 to 10 minutes. (you want them soft!)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Using a mixer, combine butter and shortening til completely combined (about a minute)
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth, add another 1/2 cup and beat until smooth.
- Add Vanilla, mix. Gradually add the remaining sugar and milk. Continue to mix until smooth.