This lightened up Baked Ziti is a healthier twist on a classic comfort food recipe.
- 16 oz Penne Pasta
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1+ cups reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 tbs italian blend seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the italian blend seasoning and keep sautéing about 2 more minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and mushrooms and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix cooked pasta and sauce, combine well, set aside.
- Combine egg, ricotta, parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Spread half tomato pasta mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish, top with half of ricotta egg mixture, sprinkle half of mozzerella on top.
- Spread remaining pasta and sauce mixture on top and sprinkle remaining mozerella on top.
- Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes.