This easy slow cooker barbecue chicken recipe is a perfect meal for busy weeknight dinners. The Barbecue chicken recipe is only three ingredients! You can make a double batch and have several cook-once-eat-twice type meals!
- 1/2 can Root Beer
- 1 cup of Barbecue sauce
- +/- 2 lbs of chicken breasts, thighs or a combo of both. (You could do more, just increase the amount of BBQ sauce and Root Beer. I used about 15 chicken tenderloins, remember, if you do thighs, they have a lot more fat.)
- a splash or 2 of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Mix the root beer, Worcestershire, and barbecue sauce together at the bottom of the crockpot, then add the chicken. Move the breasts around to ensure they are mostly covered by the liquid.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. (I cooked mine for 4 hours and used a meat thermometer to make sure they were completely cooked – because I have a crazy fear of undercooked meat. Haha)
- I plan to shred the meat for leftovers, reserve about a cup of the cooking juices, and add back to the shredded chicken a little at a time until the chicken absorbs as much as it can w/out becoming too watery.