These delicious Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are made with a chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling and topped with a luscious chocolate buttercream frosting.
- 1 15.25 ounce devils food cake mix
- 1 21-ounce can of cherry pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 8 Tbsps butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Cocoa Powder
- 3 to 5 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
***DO NOT PREPARE CAKE ACCORDING TO BOX DIRECTIONS***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line the cupcake pan with wrappers.
- Place cake mix, eggs, and cherry pie filling in a large bowl.
- Using your stand or hand mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill the cupcake tin with ¼ cup batter. (I like this 4-tablespoon scoop for cupcakes.)
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean OR the middle of the cake bounces back when you press down slightly.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan and remove to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter with cocoa powder in a large bowl on low until well combined.
- Add powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of milk, vanilla, and salt. Beating on medium speed until a light, fluffy and creamy consistency is reached. If the frosting is too stiff add a bit more milk, a small amount at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.
- The frosting recipe makes enough frosting to frost 24 cupcakes generously.
- Nutrition info based on 24 cupcakes.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 206
- Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
Keywords: chocolate cherry cupcakes