Grannys Classic Cornbread Dressing recipe. (No Southern holiday meal is complete without this easy and delicious dressing recipe.)
- 2 6 oz packages of cornbread mix (or the equivalent of your favorite homemade recipe)
- 2 hot dog buns
- 5 green onions
- 2 stalks of celery plus leaves
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 3/4 cup of turkey or chicken broth
- 6 to 7 thin slices of cold butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
The day before:
Prepare cornbread according to package directions. After cornbread cools, break it up into smaller pieces and leave out overnight to dry out. Add hot dog buns to the pan so they can dry out a bit too.
1. Preheat oven to 375. In a food processor, break up cornbread and buns into crumbs. Add crumbs to greased 8 x 11 casserole dish.
2. Finely dice celery and green onions. (I used the food processor.) Add to breadcrumbs.
3. Add spices to bread crumb mix and stir together.
4. Add broth and combine until bread crumbs are completely moist.
5. Spread mixture evenly around casserole dish.
6. Arrange 6 to 7 pats of butter onto the top of dressing.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Keywords: holiday dish, thanksgiving