Make this amazing Cranberry Curd Recipe with fresh OR frozen cranberries. It’s easy to make & the sweet, tart flavor makes it a perfect recipe for the holidays. (And makes an even better hostess gift!)
- 4 cups fresh or unthawed frozen cranberries (from one 14.5-ounce package)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (from about 3 oranges)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 3 large egg yolks plus 1 large whole egg
- Place cranberries, water, and orange juice in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil over high heat, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Stirring occasionally, until cranberries burst, about 15 minutes. (You should hear the cranberries popping.) With the side of your spatula or spoon, gently crush any remaining cranberries.
- Press cranberry mixture through a fine sieve, and discard solids.
- Add cranberry pulp back to the saucepan. Over medium heat, whisk in butter, sugar, and salt, stirring, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl, then whisk into cranberry mixture, a spoonful at a time.
- Cook cranberry mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Optional step for velvety smooth cranberry curd: Pass through sieve into a bowl (to remove any egg solids)
- Press plastic wrap directly on surface of curd to cover and prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
Keywords: cranberry, curd, jams