This Creamy Chicken Stew is a great stovetop soup recipe for a cold night. It’s thick, creamy, full of flavor, and loaded with chicken. It’s easy to make and tastes amazing!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1.5 lbs pre-cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Better than bullion
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup shredded yellow cheese
- optional: Fresh parsley for garnish
- Over medium heat, melt butter in dutch oven or large soup pan. Add carrots and saute for about 2 minutes. Add celery and saute for another two minutes. Add onions and garlic.
- Continue sauteing for about 3 minutes or until the onions are cooked, but not brown. Stir frequently to keep the onions and garlic from burning.
- Add thyme, cumin, pepper, and better than bullion to broth mixture.
- Add chicken, stir until the chicken has absorbed the excess butter and is coated in the spices.
- Reduce heat and add broth.
- Thoroughly mix cornstarch into a small amount of cool water or broth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the stew. Turn the heat back to medium and bring the stew to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat. Add both cheeses, stirring around until the cheeses are fully melted and incorporated into the soup.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for about 5 more minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Simmer the chicken stew for 10 to 20 minutes longer, uncovered if desired. This will help the spices infuse into the stew and will cook off a bit more liquid for a thicker stew.
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 470
- Sodium: 337
- Fat: 22.5
- Carbohydrates: 11.4
- Fiber: 1.5
- Protein: 49
Keywords: Chicken stew recipe, creamy chicken stew