Fresh Strawberry Scones with Vanilla Glaze are buttery, tender, delicious, and perfect for any occasion, whether you’re serving them for breakfast, brunch, or even dessert. The amazing homemade scones are topped with a sweet vanilla glaze, making them over the top irresistible.
For the scones:
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk, and lemon zest until blended; set aside.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter pieces to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and using a pastry blender (if you don’t have a pastry blender, you can use two knives or just your hands,) cut the butter into the flour until the largest butter pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add the strawberries to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and gently fold together until a sticky dough has formed. Knead just a few times to ensure that all the dry ingredients are incorporated, and the dough has come together. The dough will be very sticky.
- If necessary, add more milk one tablespoon at a time to hydrate the remaining dry ingredients.
- Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface and pat it into a disc about 7-8 inches in diameter. Sprinkle lightly with additional sugar. Slice the disc into eight wedges.
- Use a floured spatula to transfer the shaped scones to the prepared baking sheet. (Reshape a bit if needed.) Bake until lightly browned on top, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer the strawberry scones to a cooling rack.
- Let scones cool completely before adding glaze.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla.
- Spoon over the cooled scones and serve.
- For a thicker glaze, add more sugar. For a thinner glaze, add more milk.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 381
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Protein: 8
Keywords: strawberry scones, strawberry scones recipe