Homemade Banana Pudding from scratch is absolutely amazing and so much better than using a pudding from a box! The combination of homemade vanilla pudding, fresh bananas, vanilla wafers, and meringue makes for an amazing dessert.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 3 cups of milk
- 4 beaten eggs yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tsp of good quality vanilla
- box of vanilla wafers and 2 to 3 bananas
- 4 egg whites (bring your egg whites to almost room temp – cold eggs will not whip well)
- 4 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
To Make the Pudding:
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- Return all of the egg mixtures to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cook, and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
- Transfer pudding to a large bowl and cover the top of the pudding with plastic wrap. (the plastic wrap should sit right on top of the pudding to prevent skin from forming on the pudding.)
- Place pudding in the fridge for about an hour to cool.
To Make the Meringue:
- While the pudding is cooling, place the egg whites into a large, tall bowl and set your mixer to medium-high speed, begin beating the egg whites.
- Once the egg whites are forming soft peaks, add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, and beat for another minute.
- Slowly add the vanilla and continue beating until you have stiff peaks. The meringue is done when it is not runny and when you can hold a spoonful of it upside down and none of it drops off. (Another sign is when you swirl a spoon through it and the swirls hold their shape.)
To Assemble the Pudding:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently fold half the meringue into the pudding, until it is thoroughly combined.
- In your serving bowl, add a layer of vanilla wafers to the bottom and one layer around the side (standing up.)
- Add a layer of sliced thinly sliced bananas.
- Add half the pudding mixture to the serving dish.
- Add another layer of vanilla wafers and bananas. (I always like to put the wafers around the sides of the bowl too. )
- Add the rest of the pudding and more vanilla wafers around the side (push them down into the pudding.)
- Top the pudding with the rest of the meringue and lightly brown the meringue in a 375-degree oven.
- Cool and serve. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Keywords: homemade banana pudding, banana pudding with meringue, banana pudding recipe