This unbelievably delicious Homemade Buttered Pecan Ice Cream Recipe is super easy to make in your ice cream maker.
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1/2 can (about 7 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1.5 tablespoons good quality vanilla
- 4 cups milk (Your choice of whole or 2% milk, half n half, heavy cream- the higher the fat content of the milk, the creamier the ice cream will be.)
- optional (but so good!) Caramel ice cream topping
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 tbs sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together for a minute or two, add sugar and continue mixing for another minute until eggs and sugar are completely combined.
- Add vanilla, milk and condensed milk. Blend until all ingredients are combined. (*see recipe notes below about cooking your ice cream base.)
- Add mixture to ice cream machine and follow manufacturer’s directions to process.
- Melt butter in a large pan over med-high heat.
- Add sugar and stir with a spatula until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pecans, reduce heat to medium and gently stir/toss pecans until toasted. (about 5 minutes.) Watch pecans closely they go from being done to burned, very fast.
- Transfer pecans to a plate and let cool.
- a few minutes before the ice cream is complete, add pecans to the ice cream and let the machine mix the pecans into the ice cream.
- Eat right away as soft serve or transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze 2 to 4 hours or until desired consistency is reached.
- Optional step using caramel: Transfer 1/2 of ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Spread/squeeze a generous amount of caramel over ice cream layer. Add remaining ice cream to the container and top with more caramel. Use a butter knife to gently stir the caramel around. Place in freezer for 2 -4 hours.
How To Cook This Buttered Pecan Ice Cream Base:
- Combine the vanilla and 2 milks in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together for a minute or two, add sugar and continue mixing for another minute until eggs and sugar are completely combined.
- Gradually whisk half of milk mixture into eggs. Pour egg-milk mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 6 to 8 minutes.
- You may wish to pour the cooked egg mixture through a sieve to remove any cooked egg chunks.
- To quickly cool the ice cream base, set the bowl of custard in an ice bath and stir til chilled.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour; ice cream base can be refrigerated up to 2 days ahead.
- Add ice cream base to the ice cream maker and process according to your machine’s instructions.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
- Calories: 437
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 59
- Protein: 10
Keywords: ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, ice cream recipes