- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar (I used 1/4 cup of regular sugar and 1/4 cup of splenda, but you could also cut the sugar to 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 tsp of high-quality vanilla
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- dash of nutmeg (for garnish)
- Heat milk, allspice and vanilla over medium heat until simmering.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until fluffy and gradually add sugar. Keep beating eggs until sugar is dissolved.
- Continue beating the eggs on low and gradually add the hot milk to the eggs. Keep beating and the milk slowly, so you don’t scramble your eggs.
- Return the eggnog mixture to the sauce pan and heat over medium-low, stirring constantly until the eggnog begins to thicken. (The eggnog should coat the spoon.)
- Transfer to a serving container and chill until ready to serve. (Unless you are making lattes, then you want the eggnog hot.!)