Overnight Apple Pie Oatmeal in the slow cooker:
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats (depends on how “liquid-y” you like your oats. I used 1 cup for these photos)
- 4 cups liquids (I usually use 3 cups water and 1 cup milk)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Fuji, granny smith, or Jonathon apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (or more if you prefer, I like to add my butter and sugar after cooking to get the taste just right…)
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or oil. (I always just use a crock pot liner.) Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. You don’t want to cook longer than 7 hours or the oats might burn. (happened to me once and it was very stinky!)
- If you normally sleep longer than 7 hours, and don’t have a programmable slow cooker, try using a timer that you plug into an outlet. You can assemble your oatmeal and have the timer turn the slow cooker on 7 hours before you wake up.
- Serve up your oatmeal in a bowl and add additional butter, sugar or milk to taste.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.