Make Lofthouse Sugar Cookies at home! These soft sugar cookies are topped with a delicious buttercream icing and colorful holiday themed sprinkles.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (crisco)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Optional: Holiday food coloring
- Holiday sprinkles
- In a large bowl combine sugar and butter. Mix until butter is light and fluffy looking and sugar is well incorporated. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- In a smaller bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt,
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until everything is just incorporated. Do not overbeat!
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- With a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out even size scoops of dough and then roll in a ball in your hand and place on a cookie sheet and slightly flatten with your hand so it’s in a circular shape.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until light golden brown, for 8 to 10 minutes. (you want them soft!)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Using a mixer, combine butter and shortening until completely combined (about a minute)
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar and beat until smooth, add another 1/2 cup and beat until smooth.
- Add Vanilla, mix. Gradually add the remaining sugar and milk. Add food coloring if desired. Continue to mix until smooth.
Keywords: cookies, sugar cookies, christmas cookies, lofthouse sugar cookies