This crunchy Apple and Walnut Salad is tangy and sweet! It’s the perfect combination of sweet and tart apples, highlighted with a creamy, lemony dressing. Makes a great addition to any family gatherings.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel (I did not have fresh lemons on hand and used a bit of true lemon instead.)
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, diced into bite-size pieces
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, (or other sweet apple), diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 medium celery stalks, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup lettuce (torn into very small pieces)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (Someone has been eating my walnuts- no I only had a scant 1/4 cup to use.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. (optional – but so yummy!)
- In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Place apples in large bowl. Add lemon juice and toss until coated.
- Add celery to bowl with apples. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, toss apples and celery. Add lettuce and dressing; toss until coated. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Adapted from Betty Crocker