It’s Apple season! (And we have a big drawer full of apples to eat, yum…) Today, I am sharing the recipe for this tangy, sweet and crunchy Apple and Walnut Salad. It’s one of our favorite fall salads for family gatherings.
I love big family gatherings. Birthday parties, holidays, big games- you name it. If it’s a reason to get together, then let’s do it! Being located in central Texas, my house is the most central location for our extended family and it tends to be the spot for our family gatherings. Thank you to Dixie® for partnering with me to bring you this great recipe!
Care to take a guess at what I don’t enjoy about these gatherings?
Cleaning up and washing dishes! (Actually, I can’t think of one person who likes cleaning up and washing the dishes after a big meal or party.)
I also don’t like missing moments like this: (She was just completely worn out from the party!)
I promise you if I’m stuck in the kitchen washing everyone’s cups and plates I would be missing out on these precious moments! Dixie wants to help families spend more time connecting and making memories that last and that’s why I’m happy to join in the Dixie #BeMoreHere campaign.
Now, for the Apple and Walnut Salad recipe I teased you with above… Doesn’t it look good? This salad is always a hit with even the pickiest eaters…
I used Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples for the perfect sweet/tart combination. You can use any variety or combination you prefer. Definitely, don’t skimp on the lemony mayo/yogurt dressing- it really makes the salad shine!
More apple recipes you might like:
- Grilled Apples with Caramel and Ice cream
- Slow Cooker Apple Crumble
- Baked Apple Chips
- Apple Pie Smoothie (Lightened up)
- Apple, Pear and Toasted Walnut Salad w/ Pork Tenderloin
Apple and Walnut Salad
Adapted from Betty Crocker
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel (I did not have fresh lemons on hand and used a bit of true lemon instead.)
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, diced into bite-size pieces
- 2 large Pink Lady apples, (or other sweet apple), diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 medium celery stalks, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup lettuce (torn into very small pieces)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (Someone has been eating my walnuts- no I only had a scant 1/4 cup to use.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes, stirring halfway through. (optional – but so yummy!)
- In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until blended. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Place apples in large bowl. Add lemon juice and toss until coated.
- Add celery to bowl with apples. Refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, toss apples and celery. Add dressing; toss until coated. Sprinkle with walnuts.
[irp]Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dixie. The opinions and text are all mine.