Combine cherries, cream cheese with pie crust, and a heart-shaped cookie cutter, and you get a sweet little Cherry and Cream Cheese Heart Pastry.
For the pastry
- 1 to 2 pkgs refrigerated pie crust (depending on how many you want to make)
- 1 pkg. cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2–3 tsp. milk
- Cover the cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll out two sheets of pie crust and cut out large hearts with the cookie cutter.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg, and vanilla or almond extract ( I used both). Set aside half of the heart cutouts for the top layer.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bottom layers of the pie crust hearts to 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Next, top the cream cheese mixture with a tablespoon or two of the pie filling.
- With a rolling pin, lightly roll out the rest of the pie crust hearts, so they are slightly bigger than the bottom ones. (They need to be bigger to fit over the toppings.) If you have a smaller heart cookie cutter, you could cut out the middle so the cherries will show through.
- Lay the top piece of pie crust over the bottom pie crust layer and filling.
- Using your fingers, press the edges together. Go around the edges again with a fork for an extra strong seal.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or untill the pie crust has turned a pretty golden brown.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, mix the glaze. Combine 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk until smooth. If the glaze seems to thick, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Drizzle the glaze over the heart pastries.
Keywords: cream cheese and cherry heart pastries