Delicately rich and chocolatey, this Chocolate Mousse is a smooth and creamy dessert, perfect for any occasion.
- 4 egg yolks (room temp)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips- about 1 cup (plus a few extra chopped up for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Beat room temp egg yolks in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Heat 1 cup whipping cream in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until just hot. DO NOT OVER HEAT!
- Temper the eggs by gradually stirring at least half of the warm whipping cream into egg yolk mixture. Then stir the the mixture back into hot cream in saucepan. (keeps the eggs from scrambling…)
- Cook over very low heat (about 3 to 5 minutes), stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (do not boil). This will cook the eggs to a safe temperature. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, just until chilled.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in chilled bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream.
- Pipe or spoon mixture into serving bowls and top with chopped chocolate chips.