Are you ready for a deliciously decadent chocolate dessert just in time for Valentine’s day? Then this recipe for Creamy Chocolate Mousse is just what you need!
I made a few substitutions to this recipe which may or may not have attributed my chocolate separating just a bit, (hubby and I have been trying to eat low carb, so I substituted generic splenda and 100% cacao for the sugar and semi sweet chocolate chips) but possibly I let the cream mixture get too hot and then did not cool it enough before adding the chocolate. I’ve never used generic splenda in mousse, so it’s hard to say why it separated.
Even though the chocolate separated, it was still unbelievably decadent tasting and delicious. (You might notice that this mouse is a little light in color- my assistant and I may or may not have tasted a few too many spoonfuls of the chocolate. It was so good, we couldn’t help ourselves!)
Once the chocolate cooled, I just scraped off the separated fat and continued with the recipe. Once I mixed the chocolate in with the whipped cream, you would never know it had separated!
Whenever I bake with my little guys, my mind is at ease because I always use the Davidson’s Safest Choice Pasteurized Eggs. (She’s licking undercooked egg yolks and chocolate.) The all-natural egg pasteurization process eliminates the risk of Salmonella in the Safest Choice eggs before the eggs even enter your kitchen.
Want to try these eggs? Click here for a coupon: Safe Eggs coupon.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips- about 1 cup (plus a few extra chopped up for for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Heat 1 cup whipping cream in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until just hot. Gradually stir at least half of the hot whipping cream into egg yolk mixture and stir back into hot cream in saucepan. (keeps the eggs from scrambling…)
- Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens (do not boil). Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, just until chilled.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream in chilled bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream.
- Pipe or spoon mixture into serving bowls and top with chopped chocolate chips.
It was amazing with the strawberries!
Want more chocolate? You might also like these recipes:
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
( I am a brand ambassador for Davidson’s Safest Choice® and a member of their Darling Dozen. This post is sponsored but all opinions are 100% my own.)