Hatch Green Chiles add just the right amount of spicy tex-mex flavor to this amazing cheesy burger topped with avocado and caramelized onions.
- 1 lb of ground beef (whatever leanness you prefer)
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs or oatmeal (I always use oatmeal)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 to 4 roasted green chiles, seeds removed, diced fine (about 1/2 cup diced – use more if you like)
- Sargento sliced Cheddar Cheese
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar (for quick caramelization method)
- 1 to 2 avocados
- optional: any other burger toppings you love
- Combine beef, bread crumbs/oatmeal, cumin, garlic, egg, salt, pepper and chiles in a large bowl. Use your hands and mix until well combined.
- Form into uniform patties.
- Grill burgers over direct high heat for 7 to 10 minutes depending on how well done you like your burgers. (You can also cook them on your stove top using a grill pan – over medium heat for about 10 minutes.)
- Remove patties from heat and top with sliced Cheddar Cheese.
Meanwhile, for the onions:
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil. (Use a cast-iron pan for the best caramelization.)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the sugar into the onions and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes
Assemble your Burger
- Assemble burgers, piling the avocado and a heaping tablespoon of the caramelized onions on top of the cheddar cheese. (Plus any additional burger toppings you like.)