These Hatch Green Chile Burgers with Cheddar, Avocado and Caramelized Onions are amazing!
I’m so tired of eating the same ol’ boring lunch!
I work from home, so I really don’t have any excuses for eating the same thing every day. (Though even when I worked in an office, I was guilty of eating the same 2 or 3 microwave meals day after day.)
One of my goals is to incorporate more fresh, natural and in-season ingredients in our meals, and this goes for my lunches too. Since it’s Hatch chile season right now, (and living in Austin, Texas, everywhere I go- it’s all about the hatch chile) I wanted to come up with a new recipe that included 3 of my favorite fresh ingredients. (Cheese, green chiles, and avocados.)
I was shopping at our local grocery store a few weeks ago and they happened to be roasting fresh hatch chiles on site. (I was really kind of neat to watch, they had a huge spinning “cage” so the chiles were turning over and over and roasting evenly.) After watching the process, I had to pick up a couple of containers of the already roasted chilies. We’ve been indulging in all sorts of green chile dishes ever since.
This is an excellent recipe to double for lunch the next day or even for making sliders.
Hatch Green Chile Burgers with Cheddar Cheese, Caramelized Onions and Avocado
(If Hatch chiles are no longer in season, it’s no big deal, you can just swap out fresh roasted chiles with a jar of roasted chiles or a can of diced green chiles- it will still be awesome!)
- 1 lb of ground beef (whatever leanness you prefer)
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs or oatmeal
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 egg
- 3 to 4 roasted green chiles, seeds removed, diced fine. (about 1/2 cup diced – use more if you like)
- 1 to 2 avocados
- Sargento sliced Cheddar Cheese (Sargento is obsessed with bringing you only the best, real cheeses. Their cheeses are cut from real block cheese and will add delicious flavors to your sandwiches and recipes.
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar (for quick caramelization method)
I diced our chilies in a little hand chopper:
- Combine beef, bread crumbs/oatmeal, cumin, garlic, egg, salt, pepper and chiles in a large bowl. Use your hands and mix until well combined.
- Form into uniform patties.
- Grill burgers over direct high heat for 7 to 10 minutes depending on how well done you like your burgers. (You can also cook them on your stove top using a grill pan – over medium heat for about 10 minutes.)
- Remove patties from heat and top with sliced Sargento Cheddar Cheese.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil. (Use a cast-iron pan for the best caramelization.)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and chiles, 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes
5. Assemble burgers, adding a heaping tablespoon of onions on top of the cheddar cheese.
We sure did!
Don't miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: