This Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie is luscious, creamy and chocolatey… The pie is surprisingly easy to make and after you’ve tasted it, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that this might be the best Chocolate Cream pie ever.
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped into small pieces (plus a little extra for garnish)
- (optional: 1 heaping tbsp of Cocoa powder for extra chocolatey-ness)
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- pre-baked 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 3 tbs sugar
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and salt over medium heat.
- Whisk continuously until thickened and boiling (about 7 to 8 minutes.) Reduce heat a bit and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly (with the whisk.)
- Remove from heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate and butter until melted and thoroughly combined.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust.
- Let cool on the counter for a bit, cover with plastic wrap then transfer to the fridge and chill until firm. (At least 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.) You could chill for less, but pie might not be as firm.
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form. (Works best if the cream is very cold and if you can chill the bowl and beaters before using- even better!)
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar over cream; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. (I may have over-beat whipped cream just a smidge… Luckily I caught it before it turned into butter!)
- Spread over pie and garnish with chocolate curls (or little pieces.)
- The most important step in this recipe is to stir almost constantly and bring the pudding to a boil, then reduce heat a bit and continue cooking for 2 minutes, absolutely STIRRING CONSTANTLY at then point (with your whisk) to keep the mixture from burning or curdling.
- Lower fat milk can be subbed, but it will result in a less firm pie. (which is perfectly ok, it is just slightly harder to serve)
- The pie needs about 8 hours to fully set up. You can (and I have) serve it sooner, but it will be a bit less firm.
- Serving Size: 1/8 th of recipe
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 34
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Protein: 7
Keywords: chocolate, dessert, chocolate cream pie