My hubby’s birthday is coming! Instead of a cake this year, I made him one of his favorite childhood desserts, a Chocolate Cream Pie. OK, I actually made several pies… This chocolate pie for the blog (his pre-birthday pie) and 2 more for the family celebration. (One chocolate and one other specialty pie, which I’ll be posting at a later date.)
He informed me later, that he prefers a graham cracker crust… Oh well, that just means next time it will be perfect!
I used my favorite Safe Eggs in this pie. Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized in the shell eggs, so the risk of Salmonella from eggs is is eliminated. (Which especially important if your recipe calls for raw or undercooked eggs.) Learn more about Safest Choice® Eggs and get a coupon here –> Coupon.
Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped (plus a little extra for garnish)
- (optional: 1 heaping tbsp of Cocoa powder for extra chocolatey-ness)
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- pre-baked 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 3 tbs sugar
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and salt over medium heat.
- Whisk continuously until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk in the chopped chocolate and butter..
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust.
- Chill until firm. (4 to 5 hours.)
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form. (Works best if cream is very cold and if you can chill the bowl and beaters before using- even better!)
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar over cream; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. (I may have over-beat whipped cream just a smidge… Luckily I caught it before it turned into butter!)
- Spread over pie and garnish with chocolate curls (or little pieces.)
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below:
( I’m a brand ambassador for Davidson’s Safest Choice® and a member of their Darling Dozen. This post is sponsored but all opinions are 100% my own- I love these eggs and used them even before I was lucky enough to partner with them!)