I love a good Chocolate Cream Pie, don’t you?. So luscious, creamy and chocolatey… All my favorite things combined! This recipe for Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie is surprisingly easy to make and after you’ve tasted it, I’m sure you’ll agree with me that this might be the best Chocolate Cream pie ever. (Thanks, Granny.)
My hubby’s birthday is just around the corner.
Instead of a cake this year, I made him one of his favorite childhood desserts, a Chocolate Cream Pie.
OK, I actually made several pies… This chocolate pie for the blog (his pre-birthday pie) and 2 more for the family celebration. (One chocolate and one other specialty pie, which I’ll be posting at a later date.)
**Update** The other pie was this lemon cheesecake pie. It was AMAZING!!! Definitely check it out.
He informed me later, that he prefers a graham cracker crust… Oh well, that just means next time it will be perfect!
So obviously, I need to work on my chocolate curls, because these are just a bit sad looking, but everything else about this pie was perfect. The chocolate filling was perfect. Velvety, decadently rich and with the best chocolate flavor.
Oh, yes… It was soo good!
I used my favorite Safe Eggs in this pie. Davidson’s Safest Choice® Eggs are pasteurized in the shell eggs, so the risk of Salmonella from eggs is eliminated. (Which especially important if your recipe calls for raw or undercooked eggs.) Learn more about Safest Choice® Eggs and get a coupon here –> Coupon.
Homemade Chocolate Cream Pie
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped (plus a little extra for garnish)
- (optional: 1 heaping tbsp of Cocoa powder for extra chocolatey-ness)
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- pre-baked 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 to 3 tbs sugar
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and salt over medium heat.
- Whisk continuously until thickened, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk in the chopped chocolate and butter..
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust.
- Chill until firm. (4 to 5 hours.)
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream until soft peaks form. (Works best if cream is very cold and if you can chill the bowl and beaters before using- even better!)
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar over cream; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. (I may have over-beat whipped cream just a smidge… Luckily I caught it before it turned into butter!)
- Spread over pie and garnish with chocolate curls (or little pieces.)
Looking for a few more scrumptious desserts? You may also enjoy these:
( I’m a brand ambassador for Davidson’s Safest Choice® and a member of their Darling Dozen. This post is sponsored but all opinions are 100% my own- I love these eggs and used them even before I was lucky enough to partner with them!)