This Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream uses just a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand to make deliciously creamy homemade ice cream. Perfect for hot summer days!
- 2 cups strawberries, crushed
- 2–4 tbsp sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups half n half (or cream)
- Mix in 2 to 4 tbsp of sugar over the crushed strawberries. Just give them a taste to make sure they are sweet enough. Set aside.
- Add milk and eggs to a saucepan over low heat. Beat/whip eggs into the milk until thoroughly combined. Add sugar and salt. Continue stirring and watch that the heat does not get too high. (If the heat gets too high, the eggs might create a few lumps in the cooking process -not the end of the world, you can strain out any lumps in your ice cream base.)
- Keep stirring until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of the spoon.
- Stir in the vanilla and half n half.
- Optional (for a faster cooling time): place saucepan in an ice bath and continue stirring until cool.
- Optional step 2: strain custard base through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Stir in crushed strawberries.
- Place custard base into the fridge until chilled.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to manufactures instructions.
- When ice cream is ready, serve immediately as soft serve or transfer to a freezer container for about 2 hours or until your ice cream reaches desired consistency.
If you find your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it rest on the counter about 5 minutes and try again.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Protein: 6
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry