What’s better than ice cream? Homemade ice cream! This Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is a simple ice cream maker recipe that uses just a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand to make deliciously creamy homemade ice cream. Perfect for hot summer days!
The 4th of July was a yucky rainy day and all our festivities, including the local parade, were canceled. The kids weren’t terribly disappointed as we had a big 4th of July weekend still ahead at the Jellystone RV Park in Kerrville. (Our favorite place!)
To make up for missing the parade we decided to have a little fun at home and celebrate with a batch of homemade strawberry ice cream. The kids loved it – both participating in making homemade ice cream and the actual strawberry ice cream itself – so much that I’m certain they forgot we were even supposed to be at a parade.
This is an ice cream maker recipe so you do need an ice cream maker to make this homemade ice cream, unlike some of the other recipes I’ve shared in the past, but I promise the recipe is so good you’ll want to make it so often that it’s worth getting an ice cream maker for!
I have the Cuisinart ice cream maker (the kind that has a bowl you keep in the freezer.) We love ice cream so much, I actually bought a second bowl to keep in the outside freezer, so I always have a freezer bowl ready to go.
How do you make homemade ice cream from scratch?
A lot of store-bought ice creams have all sorts of unpronounceable ingredients, but if you make the ice cream yourself, It’s almost healthy! Eggs, milk and sugar and vanilla are all it takes for a basic custard ice cream recipe. There are many ways to make homemade ice cream from scratch (including using an ice cream maker recipe like this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream.) However, there are many recipes out there that skip the eggs for a lighter tasting ice cream.
Other ice cream recipe you might enjoy:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Homemade Buttered Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
- Healthy Snacking: Piña Colada “Ice Cream”
- Homemade Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream
(The mint chocolate chip is low carb, but the only difference is that I used a cup for cup artificial sweetener instead of sugar. Just use real sugar to make it non-low carb.)
Why do you put eggs in ice cream?
Eggs are added to homemade ice cream to help create a smooth, creamy texture. Eggs also help the stability of the ice cream, ensuring that the ice cream doesn’t melt completely as soon as you pull it from the freezer!
Eggs have a lot of fat and fat, which freezes differently and less hard than water, makes ice cream soft and creamy. Ice cream made with eggs has a deliciously rich custard flavor.
Is it OK to use raw eggs in homemade ice cream?
This is a call you have to make for yourself. We did it for many years, but as I get older (and have suffered through a few tummy illnesses myself), I know what it is like to be sick and will do everything I can to avoid taking any chances!
I used to make ice cream with a pasteurized in the shell egg, but since I can’t find them anymore, I do now cook my custard-based ice cream recipes prior to adding to my ice cream maker. After the ice cream base was cooked, I put the custard in an ice bath and stirred it for a few minutes to help chill it and then put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes
Another bonus is when you cook the eggs, the protein causes the ice cream mixture to thicken, which helps make for a creamy, less icy ice cream.
How to make ice cream in five minutes or less
While this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is delicious, if you don’t have an ice cream maker or are short on time, there are a few ways to make homemade ice cream in 5 minutes or less. You can make Ice Cream In A Bag, which is a fun DIY for kids, or One Minute Ice Cream, which uses just 2 ingredients. Both fast and yummy alternatives to ice cream maker recipes!
We enjoyed this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream as a family for dessert on 4th of July and I must say it’s one of my favorite homemade ice cream recipes, and definitely my favorite ice cream maker recipe!
I know we’ll be making this again and again.
Products used and recommended in this post:
- Ice cream machine
- extra freezer bowl
- best ice cream scoop ever
- Easy Scoop Ice cream tub for freezer.
- waffle cones or sugar cones
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
This Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream uses just a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand to make deliciously creamy homemade ice cream. Perfect for hot summer days!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: desserts
- Method: ice cream maker
- Cuisine: american
- 2 cups strawberries, crushed
- 2-4 tbsp sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups half n half (or cream)
- Mix in 2 to 4 tbsp of sugar over the crushed strawberries. Just give them a taste to make sure they are sweet enough. Set aside.
- Add milk and eggs to a saucepan over low heat. Beat/whip eggs into the milk until thoroughly combined. Add sugar and salt. Continue stirring and watch that the heat does not get too high. (If the heat gets too high, the eggs might create a few lumps in the cooking process -not the end of the world, you can strain out any lumps in your ice cream base.)
- Keep stirring until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of the spoon.
- Stir in the vanilla and half n half.
- Optional (for a faster cooling time): place saucepan in an ice bath and continue stirring until cool.
- Optional step 2: strain custard base through a fine mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
- Stir in crushed strawberries.
- Place custard base into the fridge until chilled.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and process according to manufactures instructions.
- When ice cream is ready, serve immediately as soft serve or transfer to a freezer container for about 2 hours or until your ice cream reaches desired consistency.
If you find your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it rest on the counter about 5 minutes and try again.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 259
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Protein: 6
Keywords: ice cream, strawberry
My little assistant, could not wait to dig in!!!