Make a flavorful, no-fuss Chicken Lime Soup from scratch in just under an hour! This super satisfying soup is packed with cumin, onion, and flavorful green chiles. A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds some tangy flavor making it perfect any time of year. Top off this scrumptious meal with avocados, cheese, or a dollop of your favorite sour cream before serving – yummy!
- 3 bone-in, chicken breast halves (Skin removed, about 2 lbs))
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 or 4 limes
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz diced green chilies
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 avocado, peeled (sliced or chopped)
- Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- additional lime slices
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- Cut 1 lime into 4 to 6 wedges; set aside for serving. Juice as many of the remaining limes as needed to measure 1/4 cup.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and diced chilies and cook for another minute or two
- Add the chicken, broth, water, lime juice cumin, salt and pepper to the onion mixture.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred. Gently stir the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, avocado and additional limes