This Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken Recipe is soo good! Perfect for cool fall weather.
Brr.. We had a chilly little cold front blow through this morning. (I know this because I just spent the last 10 minutes chasing my garbage down the street in the wind and rain.) I’m so thankful I dressed my kids warmly today. I was kind of worried they would be too warm because, according to last nights weather report, the front was not supposed to blow through until after lunch.
I’m glad we’re finally getting some cooler weather again. The weather pattern in Central Texas has been warm/cool/warm/warm/hot/muggy/cool for the last several weeks. The back and forth weather makes it more difficult to know how to dress your kids for school, not to mention all the lost jackets and sweaters…
Today will be the perfect day to serve this Mexican Lime Soup w/ Chicken. I made it a few weeks back and it was a big hit. My family is a fan of almost any recipe with Mexican flavors. I really liked how the lime flavor shines through, Yum!
The soup is really easy to throw together. It’s made on the stove top, and once you get the chicken cooking, you have a 40-minute window to clean the kitchen, do an exercise video (wink, wink) or in my case take the kids outside for some family bike riding.
Mexican Lime Chicken Soup
(adapted from an old Williams Sonoma Catalog)
- 3 or 4 limes
- 3 bone-in, chicken breast halves (I removed the skin and they weighed almost 2 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz diced green chilies
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 avocado, peeled (sliced or chopped)
- Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Cut 1 lime into 4 to 6 wedges; set aside for serving. Juice as many of the remaining limes as needed to measure 1/4 cup.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and diced chilies and cook for another minute or two
- Add the chicken, broth, water, lime juice cumin, salt and pepper to the onion mixture.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred. Gently stir the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, avocado and additional limes