This Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken Recipe is soo good! Perfect for cool fall weather.
Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken Recipe
Brr… We had a chilly little cold front blow through this morning. (I know this because I just spent the last 10 minutes chasing my garbage down the street in the wind and rain.) I’m so thankful I dressed my kids warmly today. I was kind of worried they would be too warm because, according to last night’s weather report, the front was not supposed to blow through until after lunch.
I’m glad we’re finally getting some cooler weather again. The weather pattern in Central Texas has been warm/cool/warm/warm/hot/muggy/cool for the last several weeks.
The back and forth weather makes it more difficult to know how to dress your kids for school, not to mention all the lost jackets and sweaters…
Today will be the perfect day to serve this Mexican Lime Soup w/ Chicken. I made it a few weeks back and it was a big hit. My family is a fan of almost any recipe with Mexican flavors. I really liked how the lime flavor shines through, Yum!
The soup is really easy to throw together. It’s made on the stovetop, and once you get the chicken cooking, you have a 40-minute window to clean the kitchen, do an exercise video (wink, wink) or in my case take the kids outside for some family bike riding.
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it!
Make a flavorful, no-fuss Chicken Lime Soup from scratch in just under an hour! This super satisfying soup is packed with cumin, onion, and flavorful green chiles. A squeeze of fresh lime juice adds some tangy flavor making it perfect any time of year. Top off this scrumptious meal with avocados, cheese, or a dollop of your favorite sour cream before serving – yummy!
- 3 bone-in, chicken breast halves (Skin removed, about 2 lbs))
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 or 4 limes
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz diced green chilies
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 avocado, peeled (sliced or chopped)
- Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- additional lime slices
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- Cut 1 lime into 4 to 6 wedges; set aside for serving. Juice as many of the remaining limes as needed to measure 1/4 cup.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and diced chilies and cook for another minute or two
- Add the chicken, broth, water, lime juice cumin, salt and pepper to the onion mixture.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and shred. Gently stir the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, avocado and additional limes
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.