This simple chocolate cupcake recipe is moist, rich, decadent, and oh-so-cutely mini-sized and adorned with white frosting, sprinkles, and a conversation heart. A perfect Valentine’s Day treat!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1–3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Baking Cocoa
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1–1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- optional: sprinkles, conversation hearts, babycakes cupcake maker
Instructions for Babycakes Mini Cupcake maker:
- Preheat the cupcake maker and line it with mini cupcake liners.
- Fill the cupcake liners almost to the top of the liner. They come out more round this way. I used my pampered chef medium scoop. (Any two-tablespoon scoop will work.)
- Close the lid and cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the cupcake maker and allow to cool.
- Top with your favorite frosting, sprinkles, and Conversation Hearts!
For the oven (regular cupcake size)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line about 30 muffin cups (2-1/2 inch in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin).
- Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on a wire rack