Spice filled broth, yummy chicken and veggies come together perfectly in this amazing 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken, chopped (cooked or uncooked)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas broken into very small pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Saute garlic and onions for about 3 minutes. Add chicken, chili powder, and cumin. If using raw chicken, saute, till chicken is cooked through, If using precooked chicken, cook another minute so the chicken can absorb the spices.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, diced chilies, lime juice, and 1 cup water to the pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add broken-up tortillas and cook until tortillas have dissolved (5 to 10 minutes).
- You can serve the soup now or simmer over low heat for up to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to merge a bit more.
- Serve with optional shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sliced avocado and/or sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 384
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Fiber: 15
- Protein: 20
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, soup