Today, I’m sharing one of my all-time favorite soup recipes: Quick and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup. Spice filled broth, yummy chicken and veggies come together perfectly in this amazing 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup!
I love almost all types of soups and one of my very favorite’s is Chicken Tortilla Soup. When we go out to a Mexican Restaurant (or even Jason’s Deli) sometimes the Tortilla Soup is all I’ll order. A big hearty bowl of soup fills me up and I definitely don’t feel guilty because I know it’s semi-healthy.
I love the idea of making soup in the crockpot, but many times when I have a crock pot dish on the menu, I forget to defrost the chicken, soak the beans or just didn’t get the meal started in time. Luckily this soup is super easy and can come together in under 30 minutes. (Of course, if you are able to let it simmer a bit longer it tastes even better!)
With this soup, you can use canned/frozen ingredients (which I do sometimes,) or you can use your own homemade chicken broth, beans and leftover chicken. Whatever you have on hand… (For todays version, I used leftover chicken fajita meat, store-bought chicken broth, one can of beans and the last baggie of black beans I had in my freezer.)
My daughter is a much more adventurous eater than my 7-year-old son, and she loves soup too. When I told her we were having soup for dinner, her little face lit up and she said, “Soup? I love soup! Of course, this is not the reaction I got from my 7 yr old son, but after I made him taste it, he changed his mind pretty quick and polished off his bowl!
I hope your family enjoys this recipe too!
Spice filled broth, yummy chicken and veggies come together perfectly in this amazing 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 corn tortillas broken into very small pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Saute garlic and onions about 3 minutes. Add pre-cooked chicken, chili powder and cumin and cook another minute or so.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, diced chilies, lime juice and 1 cup water to the pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add broken up tortillas and cook until tortillas have dissolved (5 to 10 minutes). You can serve the soup now or simmer over low heat for up to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to merge a bit more.
- Serve with optional shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sliced avocado and/or sour cream.
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, soup