Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole – a delicious take on traditional enchiladas! Not too spicy, made with a chicken, bean, rice, and cream cheese mixture, stuffed between layers of corn tortillas and cheese, then topped with cream cheese, more shredded cheese, and green enchilada sauce.
- 2 cups precooked chicken, (rotisserie, canned, or diced chicken that you have already cooked)
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans
- 2 cups of pre-cooked rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 12 +/- corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided – you can use more or less- up to you.
- 8 oz softened cream cheese (divided)
- 15 oz can of green enchilada sauce
Make the Filling:
- In a large skillet, cook (or reheat) chicken. Stir in taco seasoning mix, cumin, rice, beans (drained and rinsed), salsa, corn, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Stir in 3.5 ounces of cream cheese.
Assemble the Casserole:
- Split 4 corn tortillas in half and layer them on the bottom of a greased 9 by 13 casserole dish.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture on top of the tortillas, then cover the mixture with about 1/3 of the leftover shredded cheese.
- Follow with these layers: 1. more split corn tortillas 2. taco skillet mixture 3. cheese, 4. tortillas 5. shredded cheese 6. spoonfuls of the rest of the softened cream cheese.
- Then pour the enchilada sauce over the entire casserole.
- Cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until heated through, and the cheese is melted on top.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- For a thicker casserole, you can use a 7 by 11 casserole dish.
- Completely optional, but halfway through the cooking time, I like to use a silicone spatula to smooth the spoonfuls of cream cheese out and mix it a bit with the enchilada sauce.
- Nutrition calculation is just an estimate. See my calculation here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/26694852095165
- Serving Size: 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 406
- Fat: 20
- Carbohydrates: 38
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 24
Keywords: green chile enchilada casserole, enchilada casserole