Green Chili Enchilada Bake – a delicious take on a traditional enchilada casserole!
Enchiladas were on the menu for Sunday night.
I ended up just making an Enchilada Casserole because it is easier than rolling up the individual enchiladas. I forgot that I had bought a can of Green Chili Enchilada sauce, so I went ahead and used it in the casserole, though I have never tried it and have only used green chilies in a couple of recipes.
Oh my gosh!!! It was so good!
The kids loved it too.
If you haven’t tried Green Chile Enchilada Sauce yet, I recommend giving it a shot, especially since making this casserole is so easy. I always make it with leftovers from my Taco skillet recipe.Print
- Leftover Taco skillet (or any combo of chicken/beef, beans, rice, salsa, and cheese)
- 12 +/- corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- 8 oz softened cream cheese (divided)
- 15 oz can of Enchilada Sauce (red or Green -any flavor you prefer)
- Split 4 corn tortillas in half and layer them on the bottom of a greased 7×11 pyrex dish.
- Mix 1/2 of the softened cream cheese in with your meat mixture.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture on top of the tortillas, then cover the mixture with about 1/3 cup of shredded cheese.
- Follow with these layers: 1. more split corn tortillas 2. taco skillet mixture 3. cheese, 4. tortillas 5. shredded cheese 6. spoonfuls of the rest of the softened cream cheese.
- Then pour the enchilada sauce over the entire casserole.
- Cook at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted on top.
Hope you like it as much as we do!