These sugar-free Blackberry and Cream Cheese Turnovers are amazing!
I love baking with in-season fresh berries. Depending on the recipe, I will occasionally switch out some of the sugar with a sugar substitute.
I recently received a sample in the mail of a Monk Fruit Zero Calorie Sweetener blend and I was very interested in trying it out.
I decided to test out the monk fruit sweetener two ways. One was in my morning coffee (I currently use Splenda®) and in one of my favorite summer recipes, Blackberry and Cream Cheese Mini Turnovers. I was very pleased with the monk fruit blend and truly could not tell the difference in how my coffee or turnovers usually taste.
.I am sharing my recipe for the Blackberry and Cream Cheese Mini turnovers below. They are great with the sugar substitute or real sugar, so definitely give it a try!Print
- 4 frozen puff pastry sheets, slightly thawed
- 1.5 pints fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup (divided) of the monk fruit sweetener blend (This sweetener can be subbed 1 to 1 with sugar)
- 1 pkg. light cream cheese softened
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup powdered sugar (there are a few powdered monk fruit blends available – like this one.)
- 2–3 tsp. milk
- Combine blackberries and 2 tbsp of sweetener in a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sweetener, egg, and extract.
- Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 9 squares.
- Spread about a tablespoon of cream cheese mixture over the middle of the puff pastry square.
- Add 1 tablespoon of blackberries on top of cream cheese.
- Fold the puff pastry over to make a triangle, using a fork seal edges of turnover.
- Bake at about 400 degrees until turnover is golden brown.
- Let turnovers cool for about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, mix the glaze. Combine 1/2 cup of powdered sugar (or sweetener) and 2 tablespoons of milk until smooth. If the glaze seems too thick, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Drizzle the glaze over the turnovers.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.