Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
I made a big slow cooker full of our favorite Buffalo Chicken last week. This little concoction has really become one of our favorite go to meals over the last several months.
Chicken can sometimes get a little boring and this recipe the a great way to “spice” it up.
What I love about this buffalo chicken recipe is that there is so many ways to serve it. I’ve always been a fan of the cook once eat twice type recipes, but when I make this, I will often triple the amount and we’ll cook once and eat about 4 times. (If I can keep the hubby out of it that is.)
It’s football season and we’re finally starting to see signs of the temperatures cooling off. We have a great back patio- it’s very private and wired for TV. My hubby loves having friends over for evening games and the outdoor setting.
We usually do fajitas or burgers with all different types of snacks for these gatherings, and I thought these Creamy Buffalo Chicken Cups would make an excellent addition to the snack selection.
Slow Cooker Creamy Buffalo Chicken:
- Buffalo Sauce (at least 1 3/4 cup per pound of chicken) I like Sweet Baby Rays sauce, its the perfect level of spiciness for me and my little ones and looks like this.
- (optional water and/or chicken broth)
- Cream Cheese (about 3/4 block per pound of chicken)
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker, add 1 cup of Buffalo sauce per pound of chicken. If you’re cooking a lot of chicken at once, (I did 4 lbs.) add a bit of water and/or chicken broth so the chicken is almost completely covered.
- Cook on high 4 to 6 hours or low for up to 8 hours. ( I’m very paranoid and always use my meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked.)
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, open the crock pot and remove most of the cooking liquid and set aside. Place the cream cheese on top of the chicken, replace the lid and cook for another 20ish minutes. The cream cheese won’t melt, but will soften enough to be mixed in.
- Add another 3/4 cup (or more) of the buffalo sauce to the chicken. Use 2 forks or a mixer to shred the chicken and blend in the cheese and sauce. (I used my hand mixer- it works great!)
- Add some of the chicken cooking liquid back in to to chicken mixture a spoonful at a time so the buffalo chicken is super moist and juicy, but not dripping.
- Now the buffalo chicken is ready to be used so many different ways…
You can prepare the chicken a day or two ahead of time, but you’ll need to rewarm the chicken before adding it to the phyllo/won-ton cups.
To make the Buffalo Chicken cups, you need:
- Phyllo dough sheets: cut into squares (or wonton wrappers)
- shredded colby jack cheese
- diced green onions
- extra buffalo sauce (optional)
- Place the phyllo squares/won-ton wrappers into a muffin tin according to the package directions. (To make it even simpler, you can use ready made phyllo cups or even those little tortilla chip scoop/bowls.)
- Add the warm Creamy Buffalo Chicken to the phyllo cups, top with shredded cheese and diced green onions. For an additional kick, you can add an extra dash of buffalo sauce before the shredded cheese. Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.
You can thank me later. 🙂
Like this recipe? Please, pin it!
Not quite satisfied? You may also like these Buffalo Chicken recipes: