I’m sharing my favorite Broccoli Salad recipe with you today! It’s so easy to put together and is perfect for potlucks or big family meals. I especially like to make a double batch so there are plenty of leftovers for the next day. This is one of those salads that is even better on the second day. (Bonus- it’s low carb!)
Sunday’s during the summer tend to be lazy days and I don’t always cook a big dinner. One of our favorite places for take out is a barbeque joint just down the road. The restaurant sells family combo meals that include sides, but to save money (and have the sides we like) we usually just get a selection of meat to go and I prepare the sides myself. This broccoli salad was definitely the perfect addition to our Sunday meal. This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Dixie. All opinions are 100% mine.
Last week, I shared with you about the #DarkForDinner movement: for one family meal, turn off the phones and TV and any other distractions and enjoy your meal and your family distraction free. Well, we did it, we went Dark for Dinner! The good news is, the #DarkForDinner movement is going on every Sunday this summer! So it’s not too late, you can still join in!
The weather has finally turned the corner and is back to normal. While we could have used a bit more rain to fill our reservoirs, but I’m happy the sun is back and we can enjoy our outdoor areas again.
Our family has a fun new conversation/storytelling game we’ve been doing during dinner. To get everyone talking and laughing, someone starts a made up a story and we go around the table, person to person; keeping the story going, round robin style. (Round robin style is: the first person starts a story, usually going for several sentences, then pauses at a climactic part and hands the story over to the next person for them to continue. Going around from person to person until the designated number of rounds/people have contributed.) This boy, certainly has an imagination!
(I’ll admit, he’s not the biggest fan of my broccoli salad, but as long as there is plenty of bacon, I can usually get him to nibble on it a bit…)
Favorite Broccoli Salad Recipe:
- Fresh broccoli, chopped, (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red grapes, quartered
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar or your favorite sugar substitute
- 6 cooked bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced almonds
- Add water to a large saucepan (enough to cover broccoli) and bring to boil.
- Add chopped broccoli to boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain broccoli and cool in an ice bath to stop cooking.
- Add broccoli, grapes and onion to a large bowl.
- Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl and pour over broccoli. Stir until combined. (Store in fridge until ready to serve.)
- Just before serving, add bacon and sliced almonds.
(Am I making you hungry yet?)
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: