For the cupcake base, I used a boxed lemon cake mix and just added in a bit of the lemon curd. The recipe is so quick easy and they were so yummy, you would never know the cupcakes came from a box.
I had these adorable polka dot mini cupcake liners from one of my last trips to Michaels, so I decided to make mini cupcakes. (A box of cake mix makes a ton of mini cupcakes btw…) I only ended up frosting half of them, but my kids loved them just as much without the frosting. (I still had batter leftover after making 2 pans of the mini muffins, I ended up making donuts too.)
If you have lemons on hand, I highly recommend giving the homemade lemon curd recipe a shot, but if not, you can always buy it from the store. (I heard Trader Joes has a good one and I found this one on Amazon.)
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- 1 box lemon cake mix, plus whatever ingredients are required for the cake mix.)
- 1/3 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1/3 cup of lemon curd
- raspberries or blueberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake as directed, adding in the lemon curd.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes for regular size cupcake and 15 to 20 for the mini cupcakes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place bowl and beaters in the freezer for a few minutes then pour the cream into the chilled bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until the cream has thickened. Slowly add in the sugar.
- Keep beating until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, gently fold in the lemon curd.
- Frost cupcakes and top with raspberries or blueberries if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Makes 24 regular cupcakes or 4 dozen+ mini cupcakes.