I had these adorable polka dot mini cupcake liners from one of my last trips to Michaels, so I decided to make mini cupcakes. (A box of cake mix makes a ton of mini cupcakes btw…) I only ended up frosting half of them, but my kids loved them just as much without the frosting. (I still had batter leftover after making 2 pans of the mini muffins, I ended up making donuts too.)
If you have lemons on hand, I highly recommend giving the homemade lemon curd recipe a shot, but if not, you can always buy it from the store. (I heard Trader Joes has a good one and I found this one on Amazon.)
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- 1 box lemon cake mix, plus whatever ingredients are required for the cake mix.)
- 1/3 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1/3 cup of lemon curd
- raspberries or blueberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake as directed, adding in the lemon curd.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes for regular size cupcake and 15 to 20 for the mini cupcakes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place bowl and beaters in the freezer for a few minutes then pour the cream into the chilled bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until the cream has thickened. Slowly add in the sugar.
- Keep beating until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, gently fold in the lemon curd.
- Frost cupcakes and top with raspberries or blueberries if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Makes 24 regular cupcakes or 4 dozen+ mini cupcakes.
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: