Lemon Curd and Raspberry Mini-Cupcakes (from a boxed cake mix)
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the cupcake base, I used a boxed lemon cake mix and just added in a bit of the lemon curd. The recipe is so quick easy and they were so yummy, you would never know the cupcakes came from a box.
I had these adorable polka dot mini cupcake liners from one of my last trips to Michaels, so I decided to make mini cupcakes. (A box of cake mix makes a ton of mini cupcakes btw…) I only ended up frosting half of them, but my kids loved them just as much without the frosting. (I still had batter leftover after making 2 pans of the mini muffins, I ended up making donuts too.)
If you have lemons on hand, I highly recommend giving the homemade lemon curd recipe a shot, but if not, you can always buy it from the store. (I heard Trader Joes has a good one and I found this one on Amazon.)
Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- 1 box lemon cake mix, plus whatever ingredients are required for the cake mix.)
- 1/3 cup lemon curd
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1/3 cup of lemon curd
- raspberries or blueberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake as directed, adding in the lemon curd.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes for regular size cupcake and 15 to 20 for the mini cupcakes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Place bowl and beaters in the freezer for a few minutes then pour the cream into the chilled bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until the cream has thickened. Slowly add in the sugar.
- Keep beating until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, gently fold in the lemon curd.
- Frost cupcakes and top with raspberries or blueberries if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Makes 24 regular cupcakes or 4 dozen+ mini cupcakes.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!
About the Author
Jamie Sanders is a wife and mom of 2, located in the heart of Texas. She founded Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom in 2011 as a place to share creative ideas and family friendly recipes. Her work has been featured on Martha Stewart, Woman’s World, HuffPost, TODAY, Pioneer Woman, HGTV, CNET, Good Housekeeping, Yahoo, Oprah Daily, and Redbook, plus many other publications. To date, she had given away just under a million free pdf sewing patterns.
Looks so yummy….think you can use lemon spread (have the E.D Smith brand). I have a huge jar at home and it would be great to use it.
I looked it up, I think you could.
Yum … they look mouth-wateringly good! Thanks for sharing!
Confession – it was the cupcake liners that really caught my eye and brought me here. Once I arrived and ooooood and awwwwwed the liners I read what looks like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing. ~Kelly
I agree, they really are too cute!
Maybe this is a dumb question…but what is lemon curd? These look delicious!!!
It's a mixture of lemons, butter, sugar and eggs and it is sooo good! I shared a recipe here:https://www.scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com/2014/01/lemon-curd-recipe.html.
These look absolutely delicious – the kind of treat that I could eat 1 or 2 or 10 of in a matter of minutes!! Thanks for shaing such a yummy recipe. I look forward to trying it!!