Tired of the same ol’ bland chicken dishes in your slow cooker? Then this Cashew Chicken Recipe may be exactly what you are looking for!
I don’t think I have ever actually had Cashew Chicken before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. (I am usually a sesame or teriyaki chicken kind of girl.) I found this recipe for Cashew Chicken in a old Better Homes and Garden magazine and judging by the ingredient list, I figured it would be good.
And it was… I especially enjoyed it cold the next day for lunch!
I made a few changes to the recipe which I am certain only improved it. Like adding the veggies at the end instead of the beginning, can you imagine how gross and mushy would be it they cooked for 8 hours?
While we are on this subject of magazine recipes… I have to say, I think a bunch of their photos are fake and recipes must be untested- at least the ones in this magazine from 5 years ago are.
There is absolutely no way the recipe will turn out as photographed. I tried another recipe from this same book for an overnight creme brulee french toast in the slow cooker, and it was a disgusting slimy mess that went straight into the trash.
BHG must have baked it in the oven for the picture. After that disaster, I looked up the recipe on the internet and found the original it on their site. There were about 22 other reviews with others having the same results.
Cashew Chicken in the Slow Cooker
adapted from Better homes and Garden Magazine
Serves 5, calories w/out rice: 289 per serving
- 1 can of condensed golden mushroom soup (I didn’t have this soup so I substituted with cream of mushroom soup, 1 tablespoon of ketchup and 1 tablespoon of chicken stock base- which is a solid form of chicken bullion)
- 5 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 lbs of chopped chicken breast
- 1 4 oz can of sliced mushrooms
- 1 16 oz package of frozen broccoli stir fry blend, thawed
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- Combine soup, soy sauce and ginger in the slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken and mushrooms
- Cover and cook on low for 5.5 to 7.5 hours.
- After the 5.5 to 7.5 hours of cooking time, add the thawed veggies (I recommend warming them slightly in the microwave first) and cashews to slow cooker. Stir very gently so the chicken doesn’t come apart.
- Serve over rice. Another option would be instead of adding the veggies at the end, just stir fry them and top with the chicken mixture.