Today, I’m sharing this easy recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara. It’s so simple and creamy, plus you’ll love that it takes less than 25 minutes to get on the table!
My daughter asked for “noodles” for dinner the other night. I already had something else ready to go, so I told her I would make it for her the next night. Turns out, since then we’ve been playing a game of family, “pass the cold around” and I haven’t done much actual cooking.
Thankfully everyone is now on the mend and I thought I would make this simple and creamy Spaghetti Carbonara recipe for dinner. Spaghetti Carbonara is one of those recipes that when finished, looks and tastes like you put a lot of effort into the sauce. (Shhh… Nobody needs to know dinner took less than 25 minutes!)
What is spaghetti carbonara made of?
The pasta looks positively sinful with that luscious creamy sauce. You may (or may not) be surprised that the sauce for pasta carbonara is made with just a couple of eggs, parmesan cheese, a bit of half n half and a tiny bit of the pasta cooking water.
Does Spaghetti Carbonara have raw eggs in it?
The eggs in this dish are “cooked” from the heat of the pasta and the pasta water. The trick to keep the eggs from scrambling when you add them to the pasta is to, just before adding the eggs, remove the pan form the heat and keep stirring the pasta as you add in the eggs.
When dealing with undercooked eggs, I use Davidson’s Safest Choice® pasteurized in the shell eggs, when I can find them. If worried about using undercooked eggs, you can also use a pasteurized egg product.
Yum! How creamy doe that look?
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to pin it ==>>Print
25 Minute Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Pasta, bacon, eggs and cream come together in this delightfully creamy yet simple, pasta dish.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 12 oz Spaghetti noodles
- 6 to 8 Slices of bacon (your choice)
- 4 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup half n half
- 1/2 cup Freshly shredded parmesan cheese, plus a bit more for garnish
- Up to 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, torn w/ stems removed, plus a bit more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In Large pot, cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove from pan and dice. Discard most of the excess bacon drippings. (I used turkey bacon, so there was hardly any drippings.)
- While the bacon is cooking, thoroughly mix together the eggs and half n half.
- Add cooked pasta to the large skillet. Add egg/cream mixture and parmesan cheese to the pasta. Using tongs, mix together until the egg/cream mixture is coating the pasta.
- Add the reserved cooking water a tablespoon at a time until the cream sauce reaches the desired consistency. (If you find you have added too much pasta water, heat the pasta over med-low until the sauce thickens. Keep tossing the pasta until desired thickness.)
- Add bacon (hold back about a tablespoon of the bacon for garnish) and spinach to the pasta and gently combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with reserved bacon, spinach and cheese