I love to eat salads, though sometimes I get bored eating the same salads over and over. I’ve been looking through some of my old recipes and cookbooks to find a little inspiration and help get me out of my salad rut. I came across this recipe for a Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and Potatoes. Can I just say this salad is amazing?
The recipe calls for the salad to be topped with a sunny-side-up egg, which would normally make me a little nervous. Luckily, I still had a few Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Eggs in the fridge, so I knew I would be safe having the egg yolk break over my salad.
I divided the recipe ingredients into fourths, (who am I kidding – I just eyeballed it…) and made the salad for my lunch. I probably should have allowed the spinach to wilt a little bit more, but I was too hungry and dug in.
I loved it! The flavors of the spinach, Parmesan, and Dijon were great together and the egg complemented the salad perfectly. (Plus who doesn’t like sauteed, crispy diced potatoes?)
If you are looking for an easy to make, but impressive-looking salad dish to serve your family or dinner guests, this is it!
Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and PotatoesPrint
- tablespoons olive oil
- 2 baking potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar (I used apple cider)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced (I used the white part of a green onion)
- 2 bunches spinach, stems removed, washed well and roughly torn
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan, (I shaved it with a vegetable peeler- don’t use the stuff in the green can!)
- 4 large Safe Eggs
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium. Add potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally until potatoes are tender and browned – 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil with vinegar, mustard, and shallot; season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Add spinach and Parmesan to the salad bowl (do not toss); set aside.
- When potatoes are done cooking, immediately transfer to bowl with spinach and dressing. Toss salad until spinach is slightly wilted, and divide among four plates.
- Re-heat skillet over medium, and gently crack eggs into the skillet without breaking yolks; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, turn off heat, and let stand until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 2 minutes more.
- Top each salad with a fried egg, and serve immediately.
Don't miss any more posts!
Follow along on:Feedly, Bloglovin', your favorite feed reader, or signing up via email and have new posts delivered to your email box each week!