Are you ready for another super easy, cook once eat twice recipe? I made this fabulous Buffalo Chicken Pizza with leftover slow cooker buffalo chicken and it was definitely a hit with the family…
I had a girls night get together recently and everyone was bringing an appetizer to share. I needed to make the appetizer and get dinner ready for the family too, so I figured I would do one recipe that took care of both needs and would give us enough leftovers for a couple of more meals. One of our favorites is creamy Buffalo Chicken in the Slow Cooker.
To make the Slow Cooker Creamy Buffalo Chicken, you need:
- Buffalo Sauce (at least 1 3/4 cup per pound of chicken) I like Sweet Baby Rays sauce, its the perfect level of spiciness for me and my little ones and looks like this.
- Cream Cheese (about 3/4 block per pound of chicken)
- (optional water and/or chicken broth)
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker, add 1 cup of Buffalo sauce per pound of chicken. If you’re cooking a lot of chicken at once, (I did 4 lbs.) add a bit of water and/or chicken broth so the chicken is almost completely covered.
- Cook on high 4 to 6 hours or low for up to 8 hours. ( I’m very paranoid and always use my meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked.)
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time, open the crock pot and remove most of the cooking liquid and set aside. Place the cream cheese on top of the chicken, replace the lid and cook for another 20ish minutes. The cream cheese won’t melt, but will soften enough to be mixed in.
- Add another 3/4 cup (or more) of the buffalo sauce to the chicken. Use 2 forks or a mixer to shred the chicken and blend in the cheese and sauce. (I used my hand mixer- it works great!)
- Add some of the chicken cooking liquid back in to to chicken mixture a spoonful at a time so the buffalo chicken is super moist and juicy, but not dripping.
- Mix a generous handful of shredded colby jack cheese to the chicken mixture and put the buffalo chicken in a pretty oven safe serving dish.
- Top the chicken with more shredded cheese and bake at 400 until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish the dip with diced green onions and serve with celery sticks and scoop tortilla chips
- Use your favorite type of crust (I pre-baked a store bought thin and crispy pizza crust to help it stay crispy.) Spread a small amount of the buffalo sauce (less than if was using regular pizza sauce) over the crust and topp it with the buffalo chicken and a generous amount of shredded colby jack cheese. (If you’re using leftovers, warm the chicken in the microwave first and add a bit more sauce to the chicken if you think it needs it.)
- Bake in the oven according to the pizza crust directions. (Usually from 400 to 450 for about 10 minutes.)
- Serve with diced green onions and an optional blue cheese drizzle. (To make the blue cheese drizzle, I mixed blue cheese dressing with a bit of milk and water to make it thinner and more “drizzle-able”.)
Don’t miss any more posts! You can follow along on Feedly, Bloglovin’, via blogger using the Google Friend Connect widget, your favorite feed reader, or by signing up via email. Just click on one of the icons below: